A fire broke out of a 3rd floor apartment in “The Griffin” building on Lafayette and S Oxford St on Saturday evening. Cops on the scene say some residents suffered from minor smoke inhalation and that the damage was confined to the one apartment, but as of 9:10 pm on Saturday, the fire hoses were still spraying. S Oxford St was cordoned off to traffic and pedestrians and the phalanx of fire trucks and ambulances had passersby peppering cops with questions. Some residents were resigned to drinking at the nearby Moe’s bar while the fire department denied them entry. “The Griffin” was once a hotel and it’s believed to house a number of elderly residents. We’ll post updates as we get them.
—UPDATES AFTER THE JUMP—
UPDATE: After a visit to the bulding, residents are divided over the source of the fire. Some say it was incense that ignited a matress in the 3rd floor. Others say it was a candle that dropped on the bed. Firefighters were still on the scene at 11:00 pm, shining lights on the bed, presumably investigating the source of the flames. Smoke lingered on floors as high as the penthouse level, but residents were returning to all but the 2nd and 3rd floors.
UPDATE: The smell of smoke was still around on Sunday morning, as was a single fire truck and the smashed glass from the apartment that was ablaze. Here’s the sight of the smashed window the next day: